When was the last time you added a new locomotive or rolling stock to your model train collection?
If it’s been a while, birthdays have come and gone, or you can’t wait for the holidays, we feel you! Thankfully, there’s never a shortage of incredible products available here at Model Train Stuff. Best of all, you don’t have to break the bank to add them to your collection either.
Here are six trains, currently on sale, that we’re loving, featuring some of your favorite brands and railroads.
1. Broadway Limited Imports HO 6728 EMD NW2
A hallmark of the early years of our railroads’ transition era, this Broadway Limited Imports HO scale locomotive is an incredibly detailed model. We’ve highlighted the locomotive carrying the Milwaukee Road paint scheme here, but there are eight different versions for you to choose from. Alternatively, opt for an unpainted version and customize your locomotive as you wish!
Features of this DCC-equipped model include:
- Can Motor with Skew Wound Armature
- All Wheel Electrical Pick-up
- ABS Plastic Body with Die Cast Chassis
- Premium Caliber Painting
- Details like Handrails, Grab Irons, Cab Glass, Smokestacks, and Bell.
- Factory-Installed Engineer Figure
- Prototypical Light Operation
- Prototypically Accurate Sounds for the EMD NW2 and SW7 Switchers
This locomotive is currently selling at $152.99, down from $199.99.
2. Broadway Limited Imports HO 4806 Early Challenger (CSA-2)
This great locomotive, straddling the golden and transition eras, takes its inspiration from the post-1947 versions of these Union Pacific powerhouses that were a familiar sight across its railroads for many years.
As well as being an impressive, imperious-looking addition to your railroad, this locomotive delivers a massive dose of authenticity. It features synchronized puffing smoke and chuffing sounds and variable smoke intensity and timing complementing the sound and control system along with the Precision Drive mechanism.
Other features include:
- Brass Locomotive and Tender Body
- Heavyweight Die-Cast Chassis for Maximum Pulling Power
- 19,000 Gallon Cylindrical Oil Tender
- Re-built Front Engine
- Distinctive Union Pacific Graphite Firebox and Smokebox
- Aluminum Lettering
- Details Including Handrails, Grab Irons, Ladders, Piping, Whistle, and Brass Bell
- Traction Tires for Increased Pulling Power
This locomotive is currently selling at $599.99, down from $764.99.
3. Lionel O 2133600 Legacy SW8 Diesel Locomotive
If you’re an O-scale model railroader, we have some stunning Lionel trains on sale that will look incredible within your layout.
The pick of the bunch is their Legacy SW8 Diesel Locomotive, available in three color schemes for their respective railroads. We’re highlighting the black, slick-looking New York Central version here, which carries amazing detail and plenty of space for adding weathering effects or other customizations. Although these locomotives were at their peak in the 1950s, there are still plenty in operation today, giving you a fantastic opportunity to combine historical inspiration with a modern-day layout.
- Fixed Pilots and single motor
- ElectorCoupler on front and rear
- Traction tires
- Refined Conventional Transformer Control mode with lower starting speeds
- Fan-driven smoke unit
- Adjustable smoke output
- Directional lighting, including LED headlights
- Marker lights on front and rear
- Illuminated number boards
- Lighted cab interior
This locomotive is currently on sale at $429.99, down from $449.99.
4. Kato N 101724 Post Office/Baggage 6-Car Set, Tokaido Line “Sanyo”
Whether you’re a collector of commemorative railroading products or just love the look of this baggage train car set, it’ll undoubtedly be a majestic-looking addition to your N scale collection.
Each vehicle in this 6-car set is equipped with a bogie mount type Arnold coupler as standard equipment.
This N scale set is currently on sale at $98.99, down from $128.
5. American Z Line Z 64600-2 EMD E7A/B Set #2
We have some fantastic Z-scale trains on sale. So whether you’re looking for something old-school or more modern, an understated color scheme, or something loud and bright, there’s a locomotive or piece of rolling stock for you.
Here, we’re highlighting American Z Line’s DCC-ready Union Pacific locomotive and front truck, which you can use together or hook up to another locomotive in your collection if you’re looking to customize the look and feel of your railroad.
Features of this colorful locomotive include:
- 7mm motor
- Dual flywheels
- Metal steps
- Directional-controlled LED lighting
- Blackened metal wheels
- AutoLatch couplers
This locomotive is currently on sale at $214.99, down from $252.99.
6. Broadway Limited Imports N 6865 EMD F7 A/B Set
We end with an N-scale train and another Broadway Limited Imports favorite that was a trademark of the early years of the transition era.
Exceptional value with a locomotive and carriage, the version we’re highlighting here is the Northern Pacific railroad paint scheme, but there are various others to choose from in the collection.
- Pilot prototypical for paint scheme
- Operating Mars Light where prototypical
- Small horizontal and Large 45-degree numberboards
- Prototypical horn
- Water fill hatch location
- Sand fill hatch location
Check out your favorite paint scheme and prototype to get the specific features for the one you want to buy!
The Northern Pacific railroad paint scheme is currently on sale at $239.99, down from $263.99.
What will you add to your collection?
We’ve highlighted six of our favorite trains on sale here, but be sure to check out our complete range of sale products to find the perfect fit for your model railroad.
And when your beautiful new additions arrive, don’t forget to share a picture and tag us on Instagram so we can see your new locomotive or rolling stock looking fabulous in your layout.